Marital Home Decor Strife

It's October!  Time for cool weather, hot apple cider, and cozy sweaters. This is a favorite time of year for a huge number of people in our city.  I'm seeing the usual pumpkin-spiced social media posts and pictures of people's classic and more eclectic fall decor.

Then there's my house.  For me, October sparks the annual debate between my family and myself-the debate between classic fall, and spooky Halloween house decorating.  I'm not sure if this is something other families struggle with.  Now, I realize I'm lucky to have a husband who enjoys seasonal decorating (okay, enjoys decorating this time of year, at least).  I really do.  But when the difference between my taste and his taste goes to such extremes, the bickering begins...

"I want the look of a haunted house!"

"TACKY! How about a couple of hay bales, and these metal/raffia pumpkins, and a cute little wooden apple orchard sign?"

"BORING!  See, I just stuck a severed hand into the mailbox, so it's hanging out-and look at the headstones I painted for each family member?"

"Okay, the headstones are kind of cool.  Wait, what are you doing-take those cobwebs off the tree, and pull those bones out of the grass by the front steps!!"

I'll leave it to you to guess who belongs to each line of dialogue.

It's not that I have something against fun Halloween decorations. In fact, I always love looking at the really big displays that creative people put together.  You know what the truth of the matter really is?  I'm lazy when it comes to outside decor.  So lazy.  Here's the simple truth-specific holiday decorations require more changing than seasonal decor.  See, I can put up a cute winter-y looking wreath during the winter, and some general cold weather-themed objects or signs.  Spring/summer, I can get even lazier and let a bunch of plants dress up my house.  Fall?  Halloween is too short.  That's one month of decoration, max.  Fall lasts for at LEAST 3 months.  That means I can put up my hay bales, metal/raffia pumpkins, and cute wooden apple orchard sign in September and not have to take it down until after Thanksgiving.  Do you see how that makes sense?

So anyway, as everyone knows, compromise is the name of the game when it comes to marriage and homeownership.  And that's exactly what we did. I'm not sure that either of us are ecstatic about the finished result, but isn't that how compromise usually goes?

(Although, I might have come slightly more the winner-my husband will be the one taking down the Halloween stuff once the 31st ends...)




Comments

Popular Posts